Thursday, May 26, 2016

End of Year Reflection Blog

1- What are the three most important things you learned this year?
            There were many important things I learned this year. One of the most important things I learned was to annotate. Annotating allows me to explore the article in many different ways. It helps with the understanding of the article. Another important thing I learned this year was to write formally. I never that there were two ways of writing. It could really help me in the future. Another thing I learned was to read. Reading more helped me in every part of the class. It extends my vocabulary, and helps me understand different types of writing that authors use.

2- What is something we did this year that you think you will remember for the rest of your life?
            I think the thing that I will remember the rest of my life were the open mic Fridays. Even though the parties were fun and all that that was my favorite. Hearing everyones poems was awesome. My favorite poem presented was Nathan's. It was a masterpiece that would be presented at an actual open mic Friday.

3- What was the nicest thing someone in our class did for you this year?
            The nicest thing someone did for me was bring my stuff down from one class to another. That day was today, which is May 24th. I was taking the math map test and they were nice enough to bring my stuff down to ELA in between periods. Whoever that was I thank you. That made my day and helped me concentrate, I don't know why though.

4- What is something you taught your teacher or classmates this year?
            One thing I taught my classmates was that loneliness in the elderly can give them Alzheimer's disease. This is when they are more prone to forgetting things. They eventually forget there names, their relative, how to put a shoe on etc. This can cause death in a span of 10 years or so. I taught this to the class in a gallery walk. My article was about the elderly being lonely and not just about them having Alzheimer's. It was a good article and a good day to do the gallery walk.

5- In what area do you feel you made your biggest improvements? What is something you accomplished this year that you are proud of?
            I think in the identifying text area. Early in the year I wasn't very good at doing that. It was a very hard area for me last year and many years before that. Accomplishing that was awesome, I was knew I was never good in that area.  This class helped not only in this area a lot, but also in all. I made a jump from above average, to way above average.

6- What was the most challenging part of this year for you?
            Well everything was challenging for me this year. It was hard jumping from a very easy class in sixth grade, to a hard class. I can deal with the work now, but at the beginning of the year it was hard because it very overwhelming at first, but it was fun making that transition. This is one of the first times I have ever been challenged in school. This class taught to have good time management so I can get most of my work done on time.

7- What was the best piece of writing that you did this year? Why do you think it is your best?
            The best piece of writing I had this year was my was my poem "Just a Dream". It was about how you dream, but it doesn't come true. The poem made me think a whole lot. The blog really opened up my mind about the reality's of life and how it hits you in the face like a punch from Mike Tyson. I think that was the best thing I made this year.

8- Of the books you read this year, which was your favorite? Why?
            I think the favorite book I read this year was Of Mice and Men. It was so interesting and had a lot of detail for such a small book. It was about 2 guys traveling around the U.S. during the great depression (1930's). The book always kept me on the edge of my seat. It left me not knowing what is going to happen next, the only thing I didn't like was how it ended. That got me mad, it left me hanging.

9- What advice would you give students who will be in this class next year?

            There is so much advice I could give you guys. One thing you should do is read a lot over the summer. That helps a lot especially with your vocabulary. Oh yeah extend your vocabulary. It helps a lot with everything. More advice is to study for your vocabulary tests. Those are super hard if you don't study. You will end up getting 2's on all of your tests. I think that the students coming into class will be just fine, it is a hard transition but I think you guys will be able to handle it. Just come to 7th grade willing to work in order to get good grades. in ELA things don't come easy!!


1 comment:

  1. Robert- I'm glad to see that you were challenged this year and that you value the power of reading. Have a great summer!:)

    ReplyDelete